I picked up the recipe for Vegetable Kohlapuri from my Tarla Dalal book. As per my Maharastrian friend, Kohlapur food should be super spicy. It is out of question when I am cooking for my little one as well. So I have gone low on spice level.
Cauliflower 2 cups (half of a big one)
Beans around a cup
Fresh Green Peas 1/4 cup
Garam Masala 2 tsp
Coriander Leaves for Garnish
Salt and oil to taste
For the paste
Coconut 1/2 cup
Red Chillies 2
Garlic 8 pods
Ginger 1 inch piece
Poppy Seeds 2 tbsp
Sesame Seeds 1 tbsp
Method of Prepartion
1. Cut the vegetables into big chunks (Cauliflower, Carrots, Beans). I steamed them all separately in the microwave so that I can get a nice crunchy texture.
2. Grind the ingredients under 'For Paste' into a fine paste adding a little water.
3. Slice onions. Heat oil in a pan. Saute the onions in the pan till they are nice and brown.
4. Add tomatoes and the paste. Cook till it combines well and oil starts to ooze.
5. Add the garam masala, salt, 1.5 cups of water and the steamed vegetables. Bring it to a boil.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with warm rotis
My son said - After you cook and take photos, can you please take photo of the cup I am eating from. Could not refuse. I think he is going to grow up thinking, taking photos is a mandatory part of cooking :-)