Rava Kanji or Semolina Porridge has a reputation of being food for the sick people. That is quite not right, though it does work as a filling meal when you do not have the taste for other stuff. It makes an amazing breakfast porridge
In an era where Oats where not that popular, my mom used to make this porridge for us. We used to love drinking it. Some days when we had a very heavy lunch and did not feel like eating a heavy dinner, my mom used to make a very thin version of this porridge for us to drink.
This recipe makes about 3-4 big bowl (cereal bowl) of very thick porridge. If you are looking for thinner porridge, just reduce the quantity of rava/semolina
Rava/Semolina - 3/4 cup
Water 2 cups
Soy Milk / Or regular milk 3 cups
Cardamom 1/2 tsp
Raisins to serve (optional)
Method of Preparation
1. In a pan, dry roast the rava for a couple of minutes and set aside.
2. Add water to the pan. Bring it to a boil. Simmer it and add the rava. Give it a stir.
3. Cook till all the water is absorbed and rava is cooked.
4. Mix in the milk/soy milk and cardamom. My soy milk is sweetened. You can add a little sugar if needed to taste.
5. Serve topped with some raisins.