Kalvan is a dish from Maharashtra (A State in India). It is a very simple dish with Vegetables cooked in an Onion and Tomato Sauce with just a little spice! A bowl of this dish with some Roti or Naan makes a very simple, tasty and healthy dinner.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
Onions 2 big sliced
Ginger 1 inch piece
Garlic 6 pods
Curry leaves 2-3 sprigs
Coconut 1/2 cup
Peas 1/2 cup
Sweet corn 1/4 cup
Cumin powder 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder 2 tsp (use regular for spicy dish)
Hing a little
Milk 2 cups
Oil and Salt to taste
Method of Preparation
1. Heat a little oil in a pan. Add onions, ginger and garlic. Saute till it browns a little.
2. Add coconut and saute for a couple more minutes.
3. Add chopped tomatoes. Saute till it cooks.
4. Cool and grind into a smooth paste.
5. In the same pan, add all the chopped vegetables. Add 2 cups of water and cook till the vegetables are almost done.
6. Add the ground paste, chilli powder, turmeric, cumin powder and salt. Mix well.
7. Add milk and some water as required. Bring to boil and then simmer till the gravy thickens a little.
Serve with warm rotis.